Wednesday 24 November 2010

Research & Planning: Investigating Chosen Genre (unfinished)

The genre of music my partner and I have chosen to explore is folk. Being a folk fan myself I already had a vague idea of the type of song I wanted, I also knew where to look for key artists and concepts behind the genre.


Mumford & Sons: Winter Winds



E.g. Cheesy slow motion

Although this artist is much more mainstream than our chosen one, OTT cheesy long shots of the band in slow motion being an example of something we wouldn't want to recreate, there are a couple of ideas and shot types in the video that we want to take on board. I love the use of setting such as where the main character is walking through the long grass with a low angle shot and the strands of grass, unfocused and brushing the camera lens, making an effective shot.

Bon Iver: The Wolves Act 1 & 2


This artist is much more niche than the one described above, but much darker than the artist we have chosen. The video is based on nature with parts of the video having a Blair Witch Project feel to it. I particularly like the shots of trees and the fast paced cutting at the end of the video.
I've also found that Folk can play a big part in the atmosphere of a film, for example, The Wickerman. Originally filmed in 1973 The Wickerman uses folk as a juxtoposition; the happy track teamed with the singing & dancing villagers; their joyous faces against the slow, painful death of an innocent man. This effect is something my partner and I would like to attempt to portray in our music video; the use of a happy mise-en-scene over a sinister event.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEOQqnHMSMc


No comments:

Post a Comment